Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Couch to 5K!

When I "ran" my first 5K (yes, I used quotation marks for a reason,) I didn't train at all before the race. At all! Well, I did run on a treadmill one time the week before the race. I really was not prepared. This summer I signed up to run the Mustangs in Motion 5K at my High School Alumni Reunion. The October 13th date is zooming up on me, so I decided I had better train a little bit so that things go better than last time!

The first day I ran a total of two minutes on the treadmill. I felt pretty good. The next day I ran four minutes. Thankfully someone suggested to me the Couch 2 5K program - a free app you can download onto your phone. It has made a huge difference!

I opened up the phone app on day one of my training and the app instructed me to walk briskly for five minutes, then run for 60 seconds, then walk for 90 seconds, and on and on. I walked/jogged as instructed, and watched the seconds tick down. It let me know what to do, and without killing me, pushed me a LOT harder than I had been pushing myself. At the end of the first session I was soaked in sweat and trembly. Yes, trembly. Now for all you runners out there I am sure it would be nothing. But I have done my best not to run at all for a really long time.

I was dreading day two. REally dreading it. But guess what. It was not nearly as bad! Even t hough I did the exact same training as the first session, I had already progressed! I was so excited! Today will be day four of the training, and I know it jumps up a level today. So we'll see how things go. While I still don't look forward to running, I am encouraged and know this is an accomplishment worth working for.

How do you feel about running? 

No comments:

Post a Comment