Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

I Come Bearing Gifts (ok gift cards)

As you may know, I'm working with a group of amazing volunteers to support the StandUp For Kids mission in Orange County. These dedicated volunteers walk the streets looking for kids sleeping behind Starbucks or on the riverbank. There are tens of thousands of children and teens living without a home. This weekend I finally get to interact with them! I'm attending a really special event where we're taking some of these kids on an amazing field trip! A few weeks ago I completed the ropes course at Challenge U with my team of world-transforming buddies. It was more impactful than I ever could have imagined, and now the amazing staff at Challenge U are donating their time and facilities to provide this interactive training event for about 20 of the homeless teens that are connected with StandUp for Kids.


I'm anxious to meet some of the young people I've heard so much about. And I don't want to go empty handed! StandUp for Kids is requesting gift cards. Volunteers go out several nights a week to meet up with these homeless children, buy them a meal or a hot drink, and talk. Eventually they form relationships that lead to developments like earning their GED, moving into an apartment, getting a job. But all of those interactions cost money. I'd like to go down with a couple hundred dollars worth of gift cards to help support this cause. Do you have any cards sitting around from Christmas, or would you be willing to purchase a $10, $20 or $50 card to feed these hungry kids for a night? Great choices are coffee shops, fast food, grocery stores, clothing and shoe stores. I'll be flying down to SoCal this weekend, and again next weekend. Please help me collect some gift cards to present! 

No comments:

Post a Comment